About the Position
Callan is seeking a professional with an actuarial background and five plus years of pension fund consulting experience to fill the position of Consultant in the Capital Markets Research (CMR) group. The ideal candidate combines strong technical skills with experience in modeling and programming actuarial valuations for funding and accounting. The Consultant will work with senior actuaries, specialists, and consultants in the conduct of project-related work on behalf of Callan’s broader client base. They will also be involved in research and testing efforts dedicated to enhancing Callan’s economic and financial modeling processes directed at strategic planning. The team is located in our San Francisco headquarters.
- Operate Callan’s asset allocation and liability models to project the future financial condition of our clients’ funds under changing economic and financial scenarios
- Collect, organize, interpret, and summarize large amounts of data to provide usable insights and for statistical modeling and graphic analysis
- Evaluate client portfolios using Callan’s database, client reporting, and portfolio analytic software
- Prepare written reports and presentations for delivery to clients and consultants
- Execute research and testing to enhance Callan’s asset allocation and liability modeling, client financial modeling, portfolio construction, and risk management and measurement processes
- Develop optimal investment manager structures
- Contribute to annual capital market projection process
- Develop customized educational information and seminars for clients, including research on special topics and white papers on industry issues
- Develop RFP responses
Background, Skills, and Characteristics
- Experience in modeling and programming actuarial valuations for funding and accounting
- Experience working with software systems dedicated to portfolio analysis, data collection and display, and asset allocation/optimization highly desired
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial modeling expertise
- Extensive experience working with institutional asset owners on strategic planning projects
- Familiarity with asset allocation, portfolio construction, pension plan design, risk management, and optimization techniques
- High intellectual capacity and deep interest in investments
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assist multiple principal researchers simultaneously
- Strong track record of communicating and collaborating with co-workers
- We are seeking an individual who is detail-oriented, self-motivated, intellectually curious, proactive, and a team player
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- FSA or ASA required
- CFA designation desirable
- 5+ years pension consulting experience
- Callan offers a competitive compensation package including base salary and annual bonus.
- Long-term successful professionals may become equity partners in the firm.
- Callan offers a generous benefits package.
Please email a resume and cover letter referencing “Consultant – CMR” to email@example.com.
Callan was founded as an employee-owned investment consulting firm in 1973. Since then, we have empowered institutional clients with creative, customized investment solutions that are backed by proprietary research, exclusive data, and ongoing education. Today, Callan advises on more than $2 trillion in total fund sponsor assets, which makes it among the largest independently owned investment consulting firms in the U.S. Callan uses a client-focused consulting model to serve pension and defined contribution plan sponsors, endowments, foundations, independent investment advisers, investment managers, and other asset owners. Callan has five offices throughout the U.S.
About Capital Markets Research
The Capital Market Research (CMR) group within Callan is responsible for conducting strategic planning efforts on behalf of institutional investment clients, broadly focusing on asset allocation, asset/liability studies, and investment manager structure studies. This team also creates capital market projections, researches new investment products, strategies, and analytical techniques, and engages in thought leadership and education. CMR works closely with Callan consultants and clients directly to develop portfolio strategies and present solutions that best suit clients’ needs.
Further information about Callan can be found on our website at www.callan.com.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.