About the Position
The Associate Consultant will assist senior actuaries, specialists, and consultants in completing projects for Callan’s broader client base. He or she will also be involved in research and testing efforts dedicated to enhancing Callan’s economic and financial modeling processes directed at strategic planning. This position is located in our San Francisco, California office.
- Operate Callan’s asset allocation and liability models to project the future financial condition of our clients’ funds under changing economic and financial scenarios.
- Model setup and output evaluation using Callan’s asset allocation and liability modeling process.
- Evaluate client portfolios using Callan’s database, client reporting, and portfolio analytic software.
- Execute research and testing to enhance Callan’s asset allocation and liability modeling, client financial modeling, portfolio construction, and risk management and measurement processes.
- Collect, organize, interpret, and summarize large amounts of data to provide usable insights and for statistical modeling and graphic analysis.
- Prepare written reports and presentations to deliver to clients and consultants.
- Develop RFP responses.
- Develop customized educational information and seminars for clients, including research on special topics and white papers on industry issues.
The ideal Associate Consultant candidate has an actuarial background with one to three years of pension fund consulting experience. We are seeking strong technical skills with experience in modeling and programming actuarial valuations for funding and accounting. Candidates should have the following background, skills, and characteristics:
- Experience in modeling and programming actuarial valuations for funding and accounting.
- Experience working with software systems dedicated to portfolio analysis, data collection and display, and asset allocation/optimization highly desired.
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial modeling expertise.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assist multiple principal researchers simultaneously.
- Strong track record of communicating and collaborating with co-workers.
- We are seeking an individual who is detail-oriented, self-motivated, intellectually curious, proactive, and a team player.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- ASA/CERA/EA candidates preferred
- Progress toward CFA a plus
- 1-3 years pension consulting experience
- Callan offers a competitive compensation package including base salary and annual bonus.
- Long-term successful research professionals may become equity partners in the firm.
- Callan offers a generous benefits package.
Callan’s Capital Markets Research Group is responsible for conducting strategic planning efforts on behalf of institutional investment clients, focusing on asset allocation, asset/liability studies, and investment manager structure studies. This team also creates capital market projections; researches new investment products, strategies, and analytical techniques; and engages in thought leadership and education. The Capital Markets Research Group works closely with Callan consultants and clients directly to develop portfolio strategies and present solutions that best suit clients’ needs.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter, referencing “Associate Consultant – CMR” to our Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We pride ourselves on a collaborative culture that supports a team-based approach to investment consulting. Our independent employee ownership enables us to attract our industry’s top professionals and results in a strong retention rate, where Callan consultants have an average tenure of  years with the firm. Almost half of our employees are shareholders of the firm.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.