About the Position
Callan is seeking a professional with a minimum of five years' institutional fund sponsor consulting experience to fill the position of consultant in the Denver consulting practice. The consultant acts as the primary and/or back up to retainer clients, and will be expected to work in a collegial fashion with the existing team and demonstrate the ability to build his/her own client base.
The Denver Fund Sponsor Consulting team is responsible for working with institutional fund sponsors primarily located in the West and Midwest. Clients represent a broad cross-section of public, corporate, eleemosynary, and multi-employer pools of assets. The Denver team works closely with Callan’s specialty consultant groups—primarily located in our San Francisco headquarters—and clients directly to provide asset allocation, implementation advice, manager search, and monitoring services to institutional investors.
- Work as part of a consulting team on existing client relationships, including attendance at regular meetings, development of client work plans, marshaling Callan resources to deliver best-in-class work on an ongoing basis in the areas of asset allocation, manager structure, selection, and monitoring.
- Monitor existing client portfolios by reviewing quarterly performance measurement reports, attending ad-hoc manager meetings, and working closely with the Global Manager Research Group and annual manager reviews.
- Research and respond to any and all client requests.
- Make presentations to clients, as necessary.
Prospective Clients/New Business Generation
- Actively prospect and generate new clients in the West and Central regions.
- Work closely with local associate consultants to respond to Requests-for-Proposals and to create and customize finals presentation materials.
- Contribute to writing comprehensive proposals as necessary to ensure the delivery of high-quality materials.
- Appropriately research prospective clients and work collaboratively with Denver-based consultants and regional offices, as necessary.
- Make finals presentations.
Research and Education
- Assist in developing customized educational information and/or seminars for clients.
- Coordinating research efforts for clients.
- Contribute to topical white papers from time-to-time.
- Represent and participate (or present) Callan at industry events and events sponsored by the Callan Institute.
- Prefer at least five years of direct consulting experience.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully building a book of business.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate with clarity and confidence.
- Strong attention to detail and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated but able to work with a team in a collegial fashion.
- Experience working for or with institutional investors monitoring and implementing portfolio strategies.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and clients simultaneously.
- Ability to form supportable opinions and succinctly communicate such to coworkers and clients
- Team player
- Willingness to travel
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- CAIA and/or CFA candidate preferred
- Minimum 10 years of industry experience
- Callan offers a competitive compensation package including base salary and annual bonus.
- Long-term successful professionals may become equity partners in the firm.
- Callan offers a generous benefits package.
Please email resume, cover letter, and writing sample referencing “Denver Consultant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Callan was founded as an employee-owned investment consulting firm in 1973. Ever since, we have empowered institutional clients with creative, customized investment solutions backed by proprietary research, exclusive data, and ongoing education. Today, Callan advises on more than $2 trillion in total fund sponsor assets, which makes it among the largest independently owned investment consulting firms in the U.S. We use a client-focused consulting model to serve pension and defined contribution plan sponsors, endowments, foundations, independent investment advisers, investment managers, and other asset owners. Callan has six offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.