About the Position
We have two investment consultant positions available: one based in Chicago and the other based in either San Francisco or Portland, OR.
As an investment consultant at Callan, you will work directly with institutional asset owners to help them solve complex problems. You’ll serve as a trusted adviser, manage client relationships, as well as conduct investment research and strategic investment projects. You will work with institutional clients (including corporate and public retirement plans, endowments and foundations, taxable trusts, insurance assets, for example) on either a discretionary or non-discretionary basis. You’ll also work closely with Callan’s specialty research groups to provide asset allocation, implementation advice, manager research, and monitoring services to our clients.
Our goal is to identify a candidate with investment knowledge, intellectual curiosity, a genuine interest in capital markets, and a true appreciation for the value of building strong, trusted relationships with clients.
Please note: We are currently working a hybrid schedule, and this position is expected to be in the office at least two days/week and potentially more as our schedules evolve post-pandemic.
What's Unique About This Role?
Callan holds a unique position in the investment industry, working with asset owners, investment managers, custodians, and other service providers in an ever-changing capital market, legal, and regulatory environment. As a consultant, you will collaborate with teams throughout the company, and work with some of the highest quality and most complex asset owners to help them achieve their investment goals. Along with having an appreciation for Callan’s unique and collaborative culture, your ability to demonstrate success in the skill sets we seek is of greater importance than years of experience.
- Work as part of a consulting team on existing client relationships, developing client work plans, attending regular meetings, and marshalling resources to deliver best-in-class work in asset allocation, manager structure, selection, monitoring, and ongoing education
- Collaborate on asset/liability and asset/spending studies, asset allocation reviews, and investment structure analysis
- Monitor existing client portfolios by reviewing periodic performance measurement reports, attending ad-hoc manager meetings, and collaborating on annual manager reviews
- Lead searches for new investment managers, either for new allocations or to replace existing managers
- Research and respond to all client requests
- Present information and research to clients
- Be responsive to clients and colleagues and strive for excellence in all areas
- Assist in developing customized educational information and/or presentations for clients
- Coordinate research efforts for clients
- Contribute to topical white papers, blog posts, and other research
- Represent Callan and participate (or present) at industry events, including events hosted by the Callan Institute
Prospective Clients/New Business Generation
- Actively generate new client relationships
- Research prospective clients and work collaboratively with consultants across the firm, as necessary
- Collaborate with associate consultants to contribute to writing high-quality requests for proposal (RFPs)
- Work closely with associate consultants to create and customize finals presentation materials
- Develop and actively participate in finals presentations
Career Development & Culture
- Foster our collaborative and client focused culture
- Care about the career development of our associate consultants and analysts
- Contribute to internal teams to make Callan a better company
Job Skills & Requirements
- Knowledge of the capital markets in general and the institutional investment landscape in particular
- Ability to form supportable opinions and succinctly communicate to coworkers and clients
- Ability to manage existing and developing new client relationships
- Ability to work with a team in a collegial fashion
- Success managing multiple client relationships and projects simultaneously
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently in writing and in presentations
- Demonstrated passion for learning and seeking new ideas
- Fantastic sense of humor
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Emphasis on team over self
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Ability to work in a small- to mid-sized organization
- Bachelor’s degree required
- CFA and/or CAIA preferred, or progress toward one or both designations
- Graduate degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] referencing which position you’re interested in: “Investment Consultant – West Coast” or “Investment Consultant – Chicago.”
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.