About the Position
As senior vice president in Callan’s Alternatives Consulting group, you will provide senior leadership to the team, and work collaboratively with Callan’s institutional clients and consultants, to implement diversifying assets portfolios, including hedge funds (funds-of-funds and direct multi-strategy funds), multi-asset class (MAC) strategies, insurance-linked securities, and other niche diversifiers. You will report to the head of Alternatives Consulting.
What's Unique About This Role?
Your primary focus will be developing a comprehensive and collaborative approach to sourcing, evaluating, and monitoring attractive diversifying asset strategies for Callan’s institutional investor clients, as well as maintaining research on a subset of diversifying asset strategies and assisting clients with portfolio construction. Your secondary focus will be supporting client relationships and contributing to new business development as it relates to hedge funds and diversifying assets.
Your primary focus will be leading client relationships and contributing to new business development. Your secondary focus will be manager research on private markets funds and presenting investment recommendations.
- Provide senior leadership and oversee delegation of responsibilities across team members to ensure the timely completion of tasks and client deliverables
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior team members, and help recruit new employees as needed
- Lead weekly Diversifying Assets research team meetings
- Represent the Diversifying Assets research team with Callan consultants
- Develop portfolio construction strategy to allocate across various Diversifying Assets sectors based on the relative attractiveness and risk profile of the opportunity set
- Assess the current market environment and industry trends to help guide Diversifying Assets portfolio implementation
- Write appropriate investment policy statement language for the Diversifying Assets asset class
- Present strategic recommendations to Callan clients
Manager Sourcing and Due Diligence
- Collaborate with other research team members to conduct comprehensive due diligence on prospective fund investments, including funds-of-funds and direct funds
- Coordinate and lead manager meetings and post-meeting notes to Callan’s internal database on a timely basis
- Work with analyst(s) to produce quantitative analysis of strategies under consideration
- Compile due diligence reports and recommendation memos and present to internal Callan committees and clients
- Review performance and risk measurement and qualitative monitoring reports with clients, utilizing Callan’s proprietary tools as well as third-party applications
- Work with hedge fund analyst(s) to maintain Callan’s proprietary hedge fund performance peer group and database, using Callan proprietary monitoring tools
- Attend regular manager meetings for assigned managers and post summary notes to Callan’s internal database
Research and Education
- Create and deliver educational presentations for Callan Institute webinars and presentations
- Compile a quarterly Hedge Fund Monitor to review industry trends, strategy performance, and asset flows, and discuss during quarterly webinars
- Contribute to topical research pertaining to diversifying assets related topics of interest for clients and fund sponsor consultants in Callan regional offices
- Identify new business prospects and develop collateral for introductory meetings
- Represent Callan at industry conferences to promote the group’s visibility and establish connections with industry participants
- Review RFP submissions and assist with drafting language relating to diversifying assets
Contribute Positively to Callan Corporate Culture
- Work constructively with colleagues in the group and across the broader organization
- Utilize Callan’s internal committees to ensure client recommendations and deliverables are of consistently high quality
- Assist with requests from Callan consultants
Over 10 years of demonstrated experience in hedge fund and other diversifying assets research, strategic planning, and portfolio construction, in an investment management or institutional advisory capacity, with an emphasis on leading research processes and supporting client relationships. CFA and/or CAIA preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Callan offers a generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical, tuition assistance, and more. Being employee-owned, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners in the firm.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $2 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.