About the Position
As a research associate in Callan’s Published Research Group, your core responsibilities will include managing survey and study development and implementation using data from survey respondents and our internal database, then presenting results and insights in the form of published research (polished reports and related blog posts) and presentations (both online and in-person). The ideal candidate will possess a blend of strong analytical skills and top-notch writing and public speaking ability.
In addition to research analysis, you will copyedit additional published research pieces, update data presentations, and support our education initiatives. Looking to the future, we are exploring new and creative formats to visualize data, and we welcome your input and innovation.
Please note: We are currently working a hybrid schedule, and this position is expected to be in the office at least two days/week and potentially more as our schedules evolve post-pandemic.
What's Unique About This Role?
This position falls under the Callan Institute, which provides research, education, and dialogue throughout the investment industry. The team works together closely to produce white papers, surveys, studies, newsletters, blogs, data packs, etc. and to support Callan Institute events. In this role, you’ll interface with multiple departments and individuals across Callan, a leading independent investment consulting firm with close to 200 employees.
- Manage production for all published surveys and studies. This includes:
- Creating questionnaires via online platforms (e.g., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey)
- Collaborating with internal database team for complex database queries
- Data cleaning, data analysis, data interpretation, and data visualization
- Coordinating survey/study project team
- Managing timelines and ensuring surveys/studies are completed according to pre-determined deadlines
- Applying best practices and helping to modify best practices for survey/study production going forward
- Presenting survey/study results: providing written summaries/blog posts of results, presenting survey results internally and to clients as either the sole author or part of team
- Provide survey/study support to colleagues for internal projects
- Stay abreast of trends in data analysis and visualization; make program recommendations for publishing research and explore new ways to leverage Tableau software
- Update quarterly, online interactive charts based on proprietary database using Tableau
- Support production of published and client-specific materials by assisting with copyediting, reviewing, cross checking data, updating quarterly data, and posting finalized research to our website
- Support new education initiatives
- Provide support analyzing data generated by Salesforce and Pardot (client relationship management and email campaign software)
Job Skills & Requirements
- Superior data and analytical skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Access), Tableau, survey platforms (Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey), and can quickly learn proprietary and other software programs
- Team player across all levels of the company
- Proactive and clear communicator
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Ability to multitask, be flexible, and meet short deadlines
- Proficiency in understanding and editing data sets, charts, graphs, and tables
- Familiarity with or a strong desire to learn a variety of the investment industry’s concepts, practices, and procedures
- Exhibit an interest in and knowledge of capital markets trends
Education & Experience
- Two to three years of relevant experience required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Research Associate” to [email protected].
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.