About the Position
As a private markets research consultant in Callan’s Alternatives Consulting group, you will provide senior leadership to the private markets consulting team and work collaboratively with Callan’s institutional clients and consultants to implement private markets portfolios, including private equity (venture/growth and buyouts), private credit, and/or natural resources. You will report to the head of the Alternatives Consulting group.
Please note: Our day-to-day environment is changing rapidly due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. We are looking for a professional who is able to adapt to these changes, which means initially working remotely, moving to a hybrid work schedule, and potentially returning to the office full time.*
What's Unique About This Role?
Your primary focus will be research on private markets sectors and funds, presenting investment recommendations to clients, and monitoring the private market environment. Your secondary focus will be client relationship management, developing educational content for clients and consultants, and contributing to new business development.
- Develop annual strategic plan to allocate across various private markets sectors based on the attractiveness of the opportunity set relative to client objectives
- Employ a capital budget and cash flow model to guide future commitments
- Write appropriate investment policy statement language for the private markets asset class
- Present strategic recommendations to Callan clients
- Develop a research coverage strategy (market map) to identify high-interest strategies for designated private markets sectors
- Proactively identify attractive fund investment opportunities and negotiate capacity for Callan clients
- Coordinate and lead manager meetings and post meeting notes to Callan’s internal database on a timely basis
Manager Due Diligence
- Collaborate with Alternatives Consulting team to conduct comprehensive due diligence on prospective fund investments
- Compile due diligence materials and review with internal Callan committees and clients
- Present fund investment recommendations to Callan clients
- Present an annual private markets program review to Callan’s clients
- Deliver performance measurement and qualitative monitoring reports to clients
- Assess the current market environment and industry trends to help guide private markets portfolio implementation
- Attend regular manager meetings, including Annual General Meetings (AGMs), and post summary notes to Callan’s internal database
Research and Education
- Deliver education presentations for Callan Institute webinars and presentations
- Contribute to topical research pertaining to private markets related topics of interest
- Identify new business prospects and develop collateral for introductory meetings
- Represent Callan at industry conferences to promote the group’s visibility and establish connections with industry participants
- Review RFP submissions and assist with drafting language
Education & Characteristics
We’re looking for a teammate who:
- Provides senior leadership within the Alternatives Consulting group to help guide the growth of the team and mentor younger team members
- Works constructively with colleagues in the group and across the broader organization
- Utilizes Callan’s internal committees to ensure client recommendations and deliverables are of consistently high quality
- Assists with requests from Callan consultants, the Callan Institute, and the Published Research Group in a timely and efficacious manner
- Over five years of demonstrated experience in private markets manager research, strategic planning, and portfolio construction, in an investment management or institutional advisory capacity, with an emphasis on leading client relationships
- CFA and/or CAIA preferred
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Private Markets Research Consultant” to [email protected].
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 190 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.