About the Position
As a private markets research analyst in Callan’s Alternatives Consulting group, you will conduct research on private markets fund investments, and work collaboratively with Callan’s institutional clients and consultants to research and monitor private markets investments, including private equity (venture/growth and buyouts), private credit, and/or natural resources. You will report to the head of the Alternatives Consulting group.
Please note: Our day-to-day environment is changing rapidly due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. We are looking for a professional who is able to adapt to these changes, which means initially working remotely, moving to a hybrid work schedule, and potentially returning to the office full time.*
What's Unique About This Role?
Your primary focus will be sourcing, evaluating, and monitoring private markets funds, including both direct partnerships and funds-of-funds. You will also participate in client calls and meetings as appropriate to discuss ongoing research and due diligence projects.
- Proactively identify attractive fund investment opportunities for assigned sectors
- Attend manager meetings and post meeting notes to Callan’s internal database on a timely basis
- Assist with developing a research coverage strategy (market map) to identify high-interest strategies for designated private markets sectors
Manager Due Diligence
- Assist with all phases of due diligence on prospective fund investments
- Compile due diligence materials and review with internal Callan committees and clients
- Develop and update peer groups of similar strategies for comparison purposes, including performance
- Complete detailed performance attribution and PME analysis on prospective investments
- Coordinate the production of qualitative private markets monitoring reports
- Compile and review in-depth quarterly performance measurement reports for select clients
- Schedule and complete qualitative monitoring updates with fund managers
- Assist with cash flow models for capital budgeting
Research and Education
- Contribute to creating education materials for Callan Institute webinars and presentations
- Contribute to writing white papers and blog posts pertaining to private markets related topics of interest
Education & Characteristics
We’re looking for a teammate who:
- Works constructively with colleagues in the group and across the broader organization
- Utilizes Callan’s internal committees to ensure client recommendations and deliverables are of consistently high quality
- Assists with requests from Callan consultants, the Callan Institute, and the Published Research Group in a timely and efficacious manner
- Over 1 year of demonstrated experience in private markets manager research or equivalent; CFA and/or CAIA preferred
- Technical proficiency, including coding experience, is desirable
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Private Markets Research Analyst” to [email protected].
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 190 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.