About the Position
As a senior performance analyst in the Client Report Services (CRS) group at Callan, a leading independent investment consulting firm, you’ll be responsible for calculating and verifying portfolio returns and characteristics. From this analysis, you’ll produce investment measurement reports that provide important insights into the performance of our client portfolios. This mid-level position is located in our San Francisco office.
What's Unique About This Role?
In this position, you’ll have an opportunity to support some of the largest, most sophisticated institutional investors in the U.S., including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Along the way, you’ll hone the fundamentals of investment measurement reporting, learn the specific needs of large institutional investors, and critical skills to take your career to the next level.
- Working among more than 20 investment professionals who make up CRS, you’ll produce investment reports for about 10 large institutional clients. This includes all phases of report generation using proprietary systems as well as third-party data vendors.
- A key part of your day will involve collaborating with the Callan general consultant and clients. You will also serve as a mentor to junior analysts and assist with group projects/enhancements.
- Over time you’ll develop an area of specialization, depending on your interest and skills (e.g., private equity, real assets, ESG, defined contribution, quality control & software testing, etc.).
Approximately 75% of your time is dedicated to client reporting with the balance focused on mentoring and departmental items.
Data Collection and Evaluation
- Calculate returns using custodial statements
- Reconcile returns with fund managers
- Obtain client information from managers/recordkeepers
- Generate portfolio characteristics
- Use Bloomberg to verify dividends/capital changes
Production of Investment Measurement Reports
- Interact with clients and consultants on report content
- Check returns and analysis for content and reasonability
- Respond to special requests
- Obtain non-custodial information for mutual/commingled/real estate/private equity funds
- Generate custom reports using various software programs
Mentorship and Department Resource
- Mentor junior analysts through training, review of quarterly work product, and ongoing interaction
- Assist with CRS training through research and education of complex topics or new reporting features (e.g., attribution analysis, overlay programs, GASB 67 reporting)
- Provide input regarding department enhancements (e.g., education/training, processes, workflow, deliverables)
- Participate in new technology testing
- Contribute to research projects and published deliverables with other specialists/departments
Job Skills & Requirements
- Strong interest in investments, data analysis, and reporting
- Resourceful and self-motivated
- Responsive, detail-oriented, and accurate
- Ability to work independently in an unstructured environment managing multiple deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- BA/BS required with a preference for finance or related degree
- Experience of 5-7 years in the investment industry, performance background preferred
- Advanced experience working with Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Access
- Mentoring experience preferred
- Interest in obtaining CIPM or CFA designation
Compensation & Benefits
Callan offers a generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical, tuition assistance, and more. Being employee-owned, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners in the firm.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $2 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.