About the Position
As an investment consultant in Callan’s Capital Markets Research (CMR) group, you will work with senior actuaries, specialists, and consultants on project-related work for Callan’s broader client base. You will also be involved in research and testing efforts dedicated to enhancing Callan’s economic and financial modeling processes directed at strategic planning.
What's Unique About This Role?
We’re seeking a professional with an actuarial background, 5+ years of pension fund consulting experience, strong technical skills, and experience in modeling, consulting, and problem solving.
Your primary focus will be on developing strategic planning solutions for Callan’s institutional investor clients, with a focus on defined benefit plans—asset allocation, asset-liability matching, asset class manager structure—as well as maintaining research on current trends in defined benefit implementation and innovations in asset-liability matching solutions. The experience will give you the opportunity to become one of Callan’s (and the industry’s) respected thinkers on defined benefit solutions, and a valuable resource to Callan’s existing clients and prospects.
- Operate Callan’s asset allocation and liability models to project the future financial condition of our clients’ funds under changing economic and financial scenarios
- Collect, organize, interpret, and summarize large amounts of data to provide usable insights and for statistical modeling and graphic analysis
- Evaluate client portfolios using Callan’s database, client reporting, and portfolio analytic software
- Prepare written reports and presentations for delivery to clients and consultants
- Execute research and testing to enhance Callan’s asset allocation and liability modeling, client financial modeling, portfolio construction, and risk management and measurement processes
- Develop optimal investment manager structures
- Contribute to annual capital market projection process
- Develop customized educational information and seminars for clients, including research on special topics and white papers on industry issues
- Develop RFP responses
Background, Skills & Characteristics
- Experience in modeling and programming actuarial valuations for funding and accounting
- Experience working with software systems dedicated to portfolio analysis, data collection and display, and asset allocation/optimization highly desired
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial modeling expertise
- Extensive experience working with institutional asset owners on strategic planning projects
- Familiarity with asset allocation, portfolio construction, pension plan design, risk management, and optimization techniques
- High intellectual capacity and deep interest in investments
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assist multiple principal researchers simultaneously
- Strong track record of communicating and collaborating with coworkers
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, intellectually curious, proactive, and a team player
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- FSA, EA, or ASA required
- CFA designation desirable
- 5+ years pension consulting experience
Compensation & Benefits
Callan offers a generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical, tuition assistance, and more. Being employee-owned, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners in the firm.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.