About the Position
As the head of Human Resources (HR) at Callan, you’ll direct HR efforts throughout the firm, overseeing Callan’s HR strategy and working directly with associates on HR-related matters. Our goal is to identify a candidate with deep HR knowledge and experience, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to be forward-thinking in HR strategy for the firm. You’ll work with several internal resources, and you’ll collaborate with the chief operating officer (COO), general counsel, and outside legal counsel on HR matters. This position reports to the COO.
Please note: We are currently working a hybrid schedule, and this position is expected to be in the office at least two days/week and potentially more as our schedules evolve post-pandemic.
- Oversee HR strategy to support the business and its mission, vision, and core values
- Implement HR policies and procedures to ensure compliance
- Remain current on laws, regulations, and best practices in employment law, human resources, and talent management
- Plan employee benefits by working with external broker and carriers
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, and employee onboarding processes
- Lead employee relations, performance management, supervisor training, and corporate wellness
- Implement HR analytics
- Support Callan’s Diversity, Equity and Belonging (DEB) strategy, working with the DEB champion and council
Job Skills & Requirements
- In-depth HR knowledge, including an understanding of employment laws/regulations and employee benefits practices
- Previous experience working as a director or head of HR
- Ability to identify issues, navigate complex situations, problem-solve, and resolve conflicts
- Strong leadership skills
- Strategize with senior management to formulate and execute HR policy decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated record of implementing HR strategies and new ideas
- Familiarity with HR tools and software
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Critical thinker
- Emphasis on team over self
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred
- HR certification preferred
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Head of HR” to [email protected].
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.