About the Position
Helping people understand complex financial topics in a digestible format is the overarching goal for this position. As a data analyst/researcher in Callan’s Published Research Group, you’ll collect and analyze various datasets and communicate the results to colleagues and the firm’s clients in the form of published research (polished reports and related blog posts) and presentations (both online and in-person).
Callan strives to utilize our internal databases and survey results to the fullest. In addition to data analysis, you’ll copy edit additional published research pieces and assist in updating data presentations. Looking to the future, we are exploring new and creative formats to visualize data, and we welcome your input and innovation.
Please note: We are currently working a hybrid schedule, and this position is expected to be in the office at least two days/week and potentially more as our schedules evolve post-pandemic.
What's Unique About This Role?
This position falls under the Callan Institute, which provides research, education, and dialogue throughout the investment industry. The team works together closely to produce white papers, surveys, studies, newsletters, blogs, data packs, etc. and to support Callan Institute events. In this role, you’ll interface with multiple departments and individuals across Callan, a leading independent investment consulting firm with close to 200 employees.
- Manage and produce surveys (consisting of a set of questions sent to a list of potential respondents) and studies (analysis of Callan proprietary and other data). This includes:
- Creating questionnaires via online platforms (e.g., Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey)
- Coordinating with subject matter experts/database team, data cleaning, data analysis, data interpretation, and data visualization
- Managing timelines and ensuring surveys/studies are completed according to pre-determined deadlines
- Applying best practices and helping to modify best practices for survey/study production going forward
- Presenting survey/study results: providing written summaries/blog posts of results, presenting survey results internally and to clients as either the sole author or part of team
- Provide survey/study support to internal colleagues
- Stay abreast of trends in data analysis and visualization; make program recommendations for publishing research and explore new ways to leverage Tableau software
- Update quarterly, online interactive charts based on proprietary database using Tableau
- Provide assistance/support on generally distributed and client-specific materials including papers, periodicals, surveys, quarterly reports, conference presentations, and summaries
- Provide support analyzing data generated by Salesforce and Pardot (client relationship management and email campaign software)
Job Skills & Requirements
- Superior data and analytical skills; strong writing and editorial skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Access), Tableau, survey platforms (Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey), and can quickly learn proprietary and other software programs
- Team player across all levels of the company
- Proactive and clear communicator
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Ability to multi-task, be flexible, and meet short deadlines
- Proficiency in understanding and editing data sets, charts, graphs, and tables
- Familiarity with or a strong desire to learn a variety of the investment industry’s concepts, practices, and procedures
- Exhibit an interest in and knowledge of capital market trends
Education & Experience
- Three to five years of relevant experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Data Analyst/Researcher” to [email protected].
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has roughly 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Research shows that women and other underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the criteria. We are committed to leveling the playing field, and we encourage all, especially women, people of color, and those in the LGBTQ+ community, to apply for positions even if they do not necessarily check every box outlined in the job description. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.